Wednesday, March 12, 2008

McCain's Wingnuttery

McCain keeps racking up the religiously insane support.

Senator John McCain hailed as a spiritual adviser an Ohio megachurch pastor who has called upon Christians to wage a "war" against the "false religion" of Islam with the aim of destroying it. The leader of a 12,000-member congregation, Parsley has written several books outlining his fundamentalist religious outlook, including the 2005 Silent No More. In this work, Parsley decries the "spiritual desperation" of the United States, and he blasts away at the usual suspects: activist judges, civil libertarians who advocate the separation of church and state, the homosexual "culture" ("homosexuals are anything but happy and carefree"), the "abortion industry," and the crass and profane entertainment industry. And Parsley targets another profound threat to the United States: the religion of Islam.

He says:

I cannot tell you how important it is that we understand the true nature of Islam, that we see it for what it really is. In fact, I will tell you this: I do not believe our country can truly fulfill its divine purpose until we understand our historical conflict with Islam. I know that this statement sounds extreme, but I do not shrink from its implications. The fact is that America was founded, in part, with the intention of seeing this false religion destroyed, and I believe September 11, 2001, was a generational call to arms that we can no longer ignore.


Gee and here I was thinking we were founded on the principles of freedom and democracy (no history lessons please...I realize the oxymorons present in our founding).



And here is the rest of it.

3 comments:

Phil said...

Parsley is a vegetable in the same way that "Shrub" is a vegetable. Where do they find these people?

A Lewis said...

Hey, that Parsley guy is a nut. Know of him for many years. It's very odd that McCain would be there. Unless it's for smooching issues. It's certainly not a place he would have been caught before his presidential bid. Something smells fishy here.

Trouble said...

I dont know parsley, but McCain I dont think I would want as my spiritual advisor, or anything else as far as that goes, especially as President. I think he is just as scary as what we have now.