Monday, September 17, 2007

Constitution Day

I know I'm a bit late posting but everyday is Constitution Day for me so it works.

Constitution Day (formerly known as Citizen's Day) was created by Congress in 2004. It was the brainchild of Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.Va., who carries a copy of the Constitution in his pocket. The law requires any school and college receiving federal money to teach about the Constitution on or about Sept. 17.

This day is set aside to celebrate the following (from about.com):


On September 17, 1787, the 55 delegates to the Constitutional Convention held their final meeting. Only one item of business occupied the agenda that day, to sign the Constitution of the United States of America.

After being signed in September of 1787, Congress sent printed copies of the Constitution to the state legislatures for ratification. In the months that followed, James Madison (my personal fave Founder), Alexander Hamilton and John Jay would write the Federalist Papers in support, while Patrick Henry, Elbridge Gerry, and George Mason would organize the opposition to the new Constitution. By June 21, 1788, nine states had approved the Constitution, finally forming "a more perfect Union."

No matter how much we argue about the details of its meaning today, in the opinion of many, the Constitution signed in Philadelphia on September 17, 1787 represents the greatest expression of statesmanship and compromise ever written. In just four hand-written pages, the Constitution gives us no less than the owners' manual to the greatest form of government the world has ever known. We have no tribal council, nor can we vote anybody off the island. But, we do live in the land of the free, and as long as the Constitution stands, we always will.



Although I am a solid John Edwards supporter, I have alot of respect and admiration for Chris Dodd both as a senator and as a candidate. Along with Patrick Leahy, Dodd has introduced a resolution restoring Habeas Corpus. He has this to say about it:

... I've said it before but the issue is too important to not repeat here: I pledge that if elected I will restore the Constitution of the United States in my first hour in office. I won't wait until then to take action and I'm committed to leading to restore the Constitution from my place in the Senate. This week I am working with my colleague Patrick Leahy to restore habeas corpus and I'll need your help.

But first I want to tell you why the Constitution is something that I value so dearly and why I'm making restoring it a central part of my campaign for the presidency.

I was raised in a household were the rule of law was treated as the most important issue facing a government (my father, Thomas Dodd, was a prosecutor at the Nuremberg trials). Every day, I carry with me a copy of the Constitution of United States, given to me twenty-six years ago by my colleague Robert Byrd. And yet today, I am running for President on a platform of restoring the Constitution. I had never dreamed that the day would come when a candidate for our nation's highest office would have to campaign on restoring the balance of powers, the rule of law set forth in our most cherished document. ... .. ... ..

We have an opportunity to pass legislation this week which will reverse one of the most damaging parts of the Military Commissions Act and put us on a path towards restoring the Constitution.

We'll start at the top: restoring habeas corpus. This week's debate on the Defense Authorization bill will include a vote on the Leahy-Specter-Dodd Habeas Corpus Restoration Act as an amendment.

Congress will need to hear your voices as this debate takes place. I'll keep fighting, but Senator Leahy and I need you by our side. Sign up to be a citizen co-sponsor of the Habeas Corpus Restoration Act as an amendment to the Defense Authorization bill.

Go to http://restore-habeas.org, add your name to the list of Americans who want their Constitution back, and tell your family, friends, and neighbors to do the same. You can also call my colleagues in the Senate and tell your Senators that you want them to vote to restore habeas. The Senate switchboard is (202) 224-3121. ... ..

If you haven't signed on as a citizen co-sponsor, please do. if you haven't contacted your senators, please do. The Senate is expected to debate and vote on Habeas Corpus this week. It is a much needed restoration of one of the most basic principles placed in the Constitution by its authors



.

No comments: